Now that you have heard of the new operating system from Microsoft and learned about the latest features and benefits of Windows 10, its time for an upgrade. There are a few things that you may need to keep in mind before you start the upgrade process:
- Windows 10 upgrade is allowed only on computers that run Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
- Windows 10 is free to upgrade for the next one year from now.
- Do backup your data before the upgrade, as the process may require deletion and rewriting of few system files.
- Make sure you have an active Internet connection and a 3GB+ USB drive to create a bootable flas drive.
Follow these steps to upgrade to Windows 10:
- Download and Install the Windows 10 Media creation Tool from here.
- Run the tool and select the option to upgrade the PC and click on next. (Note: Make sure you have the USB drive plugged in, if you have chosen to create an installation media.)
- Choose the language and proper opertaing system version and click on next.
- You can either run a clean installation which wipes out all data and installs a fresh copy of windows or an inplace installation.
- Choose to allow Windows to download the required drivers.
- Agree to the license agreement to initiate the installation.
- You may skip to enter the license key if you are doing an upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, whereas you are required to enter the key for a fresh install.
Now enjoy the features of the brand new Windows version. However, if you feel sick of it you have an option to roll back to Windows 8.1 within the first month of the upgrade.